15.04.12


I recently discovered that my dream house is for sale. Now obviously i know i'll never be able to afford it unless i won a scandalous amount of money, but my dreams don't know that.
This bright lovely evening i decided that i'd drive out and fantasize about what it would be like to live there, and plan where all my belongings would look best.

These thoughts instantly brought me to The Time Traveler's Wife, when Henry and Clare first move into their house.

'Now it's dark and Clare and I are wandering through the house, touching the walls, running our hands over the cherry windowsills. Our bare feet slap the wood floors. We run water into the claw-footed bathtub, turn the burners of the heavy Universal stove on and off. The windows are naked; we leave the lights off and street light pours over the empty fireplace through dusty glass. Clare moves from room to room, caressing her house, our house. I follow her, watching as she opens closets, windows, cabinets. She stands on tiptoe in the dining room, touches the etched-glass light fixture with a fingertip. Then she takes off her shirt. I run my tongue over he breasts. The house envelopes us, contemplates us as we make love in it for the first time, the first of many times, and afterward, as we lie spent on the bare floor surrounded by boxes, I feel that we have found our home.'
Audrey Niffenegger.

No comments:

Post a Comment